Hydration is Vital for Optimum Health
The human body is made up primarily of water. In fact, approximately 75 percent of your body is water and 25 percent is solid matter. Water is essential for absorbing nutrients, eliminating waste, cellular activity and all of the actions necessary for life. Drinking enough water is vital for preventing disease and enjoying a sense of wellbeing.
Without water, our bodies are unable to remove environmental toxins that most of us are exposed to daily. Generally speaking, people who suffer from chronic diseases are seriously dehydrated since the skin, stomach, liver, kidney, heart and brain rely on proper water intake. Heart disease, obesity, diabetes, chronic pain, headaches, chronic fatigue, high blood pressure, cancer, Alzheimer`s, and many other diseases are often preceded by many years of not enough water. Many illnesses could be significantly improved by simply giving the body sufficient amounts of water so that toxins and waste can be removed.
When dehydrated, the body is seriously stressed, just as it would be if you were in a drought. This creates a fight or flight situation, meaning that stress chemicals are released to deal with the situation. When these chemicals are continually released over long periods of time, chronic disease is inevitable.
Unfortunately in modern society, most people reach for black tea, coffee, soda and alcohol instead of pure water when thirsty. While these beverages contain water, they are actually dehydrating. When these are consumed, the body requires even more water. Over consumption of caffeine, alcohol, sugar, artificial sweeteners, e-numbers and other chemicals are stressful for the body, leading to suboptimal health. It is ironic that in our society where we have access to so much, most people`s bodies are functioning as if there is a famine due to lack of water as well as lack of nutrients from healthy food.
Dehydrating drinks create a strong diuretic effect, which means that the kidneys are overworked. They create imbalances in blood sugar levels, which can lead to tiredness and even diabetes, although they seem to boost energy levels in the short term. Chemicals and sugar can even lead to Attention Deficit Disorder, foggy brain and unclear thinking. Large quantities of water are needed to process these drinks.
Instead of addressing the underlying problem of dehydration, most people turn to pharmaceutical drugs to deal with their ill health. Pain killers and medications compound the problem since they also contain chemicals that the body has to deal with, leading to even more dehydration and potentially health compromising side effects. By simply giving your body the important nutrient of water, you are preventing disease with very little effort.
Just because you don`t feel thirsty, does not mean that you are not in severe need of water. This is because when the body believes that there is not enough water, it will turn off its thirst reaction. But don`t be fooled, when there is not enough water and the thirst signal is turned off, the body is in emergency mode. You may begin to hold on to water in your legs, feet, arms and face. There may be a decrease in urination, keeping the body from excreting potentially harmful waste. You may notice that if you drink plenty of water for several weeks, your thirst signal returns and communicates your need for this vital nutrient once again.
A common excuse for not drinking more water is fear of having to go to the toilet too often. When the body is severely dehydrated for a long period of time, it loses its ability to use the water efficiently. Therefore, it will simply get rid of the water because it does not know what to do with it. After some time, it will become balanced and the constant need to urinate will disappear.
Approximately 2 liters of water per day is needed to be fully hydrated. Pure, filtered water is best, but teas such as mint or chamomile can also be counted as long as some pure water is consumed daily. When alcohol, caffeine, fizzy drinks are consumed, as well as exposure to unnatural food, drugs, cigarettes, environmental toxins and emotional stress, even more water is required for balance.
Substituting coffee with green tea or fizzy drinks with pure, fresh fruit and vegetable juices is a great place to begin. If you enjoy drinking alcohol, remember to drink one pint of pure water for every glass of wine or pint of beer. You will drink less, reduce your risk of a hangover and your body will thank you.
Tap water often contains chemicals, so buying a water filter is a good way to filter out toxins.
Remember that your body depends on pure water. Without it, you are at risk for less than optimum health, so give your body the most fundamental nutrient of pure water that it deserves.
Your Body`s Many Cries for Water by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj
WATER RESEARCH DOCUMENT
SUMMARY OF DR. F. BATMANGHELDIJ M.D. BOOK
“YOUR BODY’S MANY CRIES FOR WATER; YOU ARE NOT SICK, YOU ARE THIRSTY! DON’T TREAT THIRST WITH MEDICATION”
I have created this document in the hope of spreading the truth for the good of all. This document had been created without the supervision, knowledge or consent of Dr. Batmangheldij. It is possible that I have made some errors in interpreting his work, for which I am totally responsible. The information below is for the purpose of health education for self-healing purposes to improve or collective situation of Mother Earth, and to promote the awareness of Dr. Botmangheldij’s book.
- The acidic food mass when ready to leave the stomach, will not be allowed to pass through the pyloric valve until the pancreas has secreted a “watery bicarbonate solution’ into the small intestine. This cannot happen efficiently or properly in dehydration, and this the first step in the production of dyspeptic pain which proceeds other stomach ulcer learning opportunities.
- In dehydration the body absolutely will not allow the highly acidic contents of the stomach to come into contact with the delicate intestinal walls. For this reason the strength of contraction on either side of the stomach reverses. This results in reverse peristalsis and predisposes to Heartburn, Hiatus Hernia, Nausea, Vomiting and Cancer of the lower oesophagus.
- Proportional to the volume of water that enters the stomach, a hormone/ neuro-transmitter called ‘Motilin” is secreted by the intestinal tract and can be measured in blood s, Confusion, interference with brain capillary dilation during dehydration-caused-dyspeptic pain resulting in lack of blood supply in the brain. In prolonged dehydration the brain cells begin to shrink.
- On average, less severe cases of dyspeptic pain in peptic ulceration recover totally from the pain in eight minutes when water is administered.
- Dr. Batmangheldij treated 3000 persons with dyspeptic pain and associated complaints using only water. The report on this was published as The Editorial Article in the journal of Gastroenterology in June of 1983. All pain and pain associated clinical learning opportunities disappeared for these patients.
- When the problem has persisted for many years, those who wish to test the pain-relieving property of water shall make sure their Kidneys can make sufficient urine so that they do not retain too much water in the body. They shall, therefore increase their water intake gradually OVER A FEW WEEKS building up to about 2l per day (minimum) or at the rate of 250ml glass/ 10kg of body mass.
- Pain is a result of dehydration.
- Increase in age has usually been proportional to decrease cell hydration (dehydration).
- The new PARADIGM SHIFT IS “Water, the solvent of the body, regulates all functions, including the activity of the solutes it dissolves and circulates”.
- The “dry mouth” is the very last sign of dehydration. The body can suffer from dehydration even when the mouth will be fairly moist. Still worst in the elderly the mouth can be seen to be obviously dry and yet thirst will not be acknowledged or satisfied.
- Water has an essential hydrolytic role important for many chemical reactions. Water, the solvent of the body, regulates all functions, including the activity of the solutes it dissolves and circulates.
- The osmotic flow of water through the cell membrane can generate “hydro-electric” energy that is converted and stored in energy pools of ATP and GTP. This is important for all cellular processes especially neuro-transmission.
- Two boards stick together with water is difficult to pull apart. This stickiness seems to be employed in the bonding of the cellular architecture.
- Neuro-transmitters are hormone produced in the brain is transported along microtubules out to their destination in the nerve endings. This can be visualised as a flotation process, which can fail or be repaired by varying degrees of dehydration.
- Proteins and body enzyme function are more efficient in solutions of lower viscosity – this is true of ALL receptors in the cell membranes.
- Indehydration, the body resorts to priority distribution network as a form of “drought management”.
- Humans appear to lose their thirst sensation and the critical perception of requiring water, NOT recognising their water need, they become gradually, increasingly and chronically dehydrated with progress in age.
- Histamine directed and operated neuro-transmitter system becomes active and initiates subordinate systems. Histamine has growth hormone effects.
- Non-infectious “recurring” or chronic pains can be viewed as indicators of body thirst.
- A rheumatoid joint is a thirst signal of the body. Water held in the cartilage of a joint is the lubricant that protects the contact surfaces of the joint. Dehydration causes “Drought management” priority of fluid distribution. The top priority is growing blood cells in bone marrow. The normal bone route (tubules in the bone) of serum diffusion to joint surfaces shuts down. Nerve endings in the joint surfaces request water, which causes compensatory vascular expansion, which is the dilation enema around an arthritic joint.
- One type of type of drought management is the shrivelled constriction of the lung tissue, which we see in asthma. This can be compared to the way the leaves on some trees curl up so as not to lose so much water in time of stress. The constriction of asthma decreases the effective surface area for water vapour exchange and this conserves the body’s water.
- The water volume that is stored in the disc core supports 75% of the weight of the upper part of the body: the fibrous material around the disc supports 25%. So, hydration and the spinal exercise are priorities to rehydrate the 5th lumbar disc in the low back and sciatic problems.
- The common factor to all of the various conditions labelled as different diseases of the heart and lungs is an established hydration. Anginal pain often completely disappears with increased water intake.
- Dehydration plays a major role in the precipitation of migraine headaches, caused by temperature regulation problems. Many migraine people have completely recovered simply by rehydrating the body. The general tendency to migraine disappears almost completely with rehydration.
- Once the water requirements of the brain tissue are no longer met, the level of energy generation in the brain decreases causing depression, chronic fatigue, fear, anxiety and insecurity.
- Dehydration causes stress, and stress will cause further dehydration.
- The following hormones are triggered as part of a dehydration stress response; Endorphin’s raise the pain threshold. Cortisone releasing factor, prolactin, Vasopressin, + Renin-Angiotensin.
- Endorphin’s raise the pain threshold. Cortisone mobilises body reserves and basically makes the body feed of itself. Prolactin primes gland cells in breast tissue to regenerate, increase in quantity and grow. Vasopressin is produced in greater quantity so there is an increased influx into the cells. This is achieved by its causing a vasoconstriction that puts a squeeze on the local regional fluid volume causing increased water influx into the cells.
- Alcohol and caffeine cause a lack of nerve cell hydration in severe dehydration, causing the body to bring more blood to the nerve cells. This process involves the release of histamine from cells in the nerve lining, manifesting nervous disorders which are labelled with several names, including MS (Multiple Sclerosis).
- Renin-Angiotensin (RA) is activated to retain water and absorb more salt. Hence Water or sodium deficiency causes an increase in RA secretion. RA tightens capillary bed and vascular system causing hypertension.
- Stress causes use of available water for breakdown of stored materials. This leads to body compensation mechanism causing increased hormone secretion.
- Decreased filtration pressure in the kidney causes RA secretion and tightening of the blood vessels causing hypertension. Water and salt in that order are the “off switches” for RA secretion.
- Salivary glands produce kinins in sodium shortage, causing increased saliva formation and trigger the body’s RA system affecting all parts of the body.
- Salt shortage leads to a devastating water shortage outside cells causing essential hypertension and chronic pains in humans.
- Constant substitution of caffeine containing drinks or beer for water will deprive the body of its full capacity for the formation of hydroelectric energy. Caffeine overrides the body to liberate energy even when it does not wish to, and continues this override effect until a lower level of energy shortage is reached.
- Excess caffeine depletes the ATP stored energy in the brain and body causing attention deficits and chronic fatigue, and eventually the heart muscle from over stimulation.
- Caffeine inhibits PDE enzyme system involved in learning and memory development. So people with Alzheimer’s disease and learning disabilities should drink only water NO caffeine drinks of any kind (tea, coffee, and cola drinks).
- Dehydration is the number ONE stressor of any living matter.
- High blood pressure is the result of an adaptive process to a gross body water deficiency.
- Decreased total fluid volume leads to a decrease aperture of the blood vessels. Otherwise gases will separate from the blood and fill the extra space forming “gas locks”.
- In body water shortage, 66% is taken from the water volume normally held inside the cells, 26% is taken from the volume held outside the cells; and 8% is taken from the blood volume.
- The vascular system all over the body adapts to blood volume loss by selectively closing of the lumen. One major cause for blood volume loss is the loss of body water or it’s under supply through loss of thirst sensation.
- The more the muscles are exercised the more their capillaries will open and hold a greater of blood volume within the circulation reserves. This is the reason why exercise is a most important component for physiological adjustment in those suffering from hypertension.
- When there is a shortage of water, some cells will go without a portion of their normal requirement and some other will get a predetermined rationed amount to maintain function (as it was explained. The mechanisms involve water filtration through the cell membrane). However, blood will normally retain the consistency of its composition. It will do so to keep the normal composition of elements reaching the vital centres. This is where the “solutes paradigm”” is inadequate and goes wrong. It bases all assessments and evaluations of body function and the solids content of the blood. It does not recognise the comparative dehydration of some other parts of the body. All the blood tests can appear normal. And yet the small capillaries of the heart and brain can be closed and cause some of the cells of these organs a gradual damage from increasing dehydration over a long period of time.
- Unless we become wise to the paradigm shift and professionally and generally begin to recognise the problems associated with water metabolism disturbances in the human body and its variety of thirst signals chronic dehydration will continue to take its toll on both our bodies and our society!
- Essentially hypertension can primarily be treated with an increase in daily water intake, the present manner of treating hypertension is wrong to the point of SCIENTIFIC ABSURDITY.
- The mechanism of sodium retention in hypertensive is in “overdrive” mode. When water intake is increases gradually and more urine is being produced, the edema fluid swelling” that is full of toxic substances will be flushed out, and the heart will regain its strength.
- Higher blood cholesterol is a sing that the cells of the body have developed a defence mechanism against the osmotic force of the blood that keeps drawing water out through the cell membranes: or the concentrated blood can not release sufficient water to go through the cell membrane and maintain normal cell function. Cholesterol is a natural “clay” that, when poured in the gaps of the cell membrane, will make the cell wall impervious to the passage of water. Its excessive manufacture and deposition in the cell membrane is part of the natural design for the protection of living cells against dehydration.
- Imagine that you are sitting at a table and food is bought to you. When you do not drink water before you eat food, the process of food digestion will take its toll on the cells of the body. Water is used in the stomach, the intestines, the liver, and the lungs, in processing the food materials. The blood thus becomes excessively concentrated from eating food in dehydration. The thirst message that comes during the meal is too late. Damage has already occurred to the larger blood vessels and capillaries of the heart and brain.
- When we begin to appreciate that for the process of digestion of food, water is the most essential ingredient, most of the battle is won. When we give the necessary water to the BEFORE we eat food, all the battle against cholesterol formation in the blood vessels will be won.
- The hormone-sensitive fat burning enzymes of the body have been shown to become active after one hour’s walk and remain active for 12 hours Thus walking twice per day will maintain the activity of the hormone sensitive fat burning enzyme (hormone sensitive lipase) day and night and will support/assist to clear away the excess lipid deposits in the arteries, especially when combined with adequate water intake.
- Excess cholesterol formation is the result of dehydration.
- Constricting-producing chemicals secreted in dehydration affecting the bronchioles produce asthma. When these spill over into the circulation that goes to the heart they will also constrict the walls of the heart arteries. This will lead to anginal pains and will set the stage for the deposition of cholesterol in the walls of the arteries.
- In my professional and scientific view it is dehydration that is the biggest killer, more than any other condition you can imagine. You are now privy to the information on where the mistake lies in the creation of monstrous problems within the HEALTH CARE system in scientifically advanced countries. They appear to allow the arrogant treatment of simple dehydration of the human body by chemical mallets until real disease is born.
- People don’t know when the are thirsty; they don’t know the difference between “fluids and water”.
- Hunger and thirst are generated in response to the brain’s need for water. We mistake both indicators as a need for food, and thus fail to drink appropriate water. By drinking water before eating food, we can learn to separate the two sensations. This can support/assist to avoid over-eating to satisfy and urge for the intake of water.
- Recently it has been discovered that the human body has the ability to generate hydroelectric energy when water, by itself, goes through the cell membrane and turns some very special energy generation pumps; very much like hydroelectric power generation when a dam is built on a large river.
- The reason we tend to gain weight is one simple fact; we eat to supply the brain with energy for it’s constant round – the – clock activity. However, when food is eaten, only about 20% of it reach the brain. The rest will generally become stored when muscle activity does not use up its allocated portions.
- The mistaken assumption that all fluids are equivalent to water, for the water needs of the human body is the main cause of many of the ills of the human body, and it is frequently associated with the initial excessive gain in weight. Dehydration caused by caffeine containing sodas, in due time, will cause gradual gain in weight from over eating as a direct result of confusion of thirst and hunger sensations.
- Artificial sweeteners cause over eating. Aspartame has been implicated in brain tumour formation. Aspartate, one of its breakdown products, acts upon nerve systems whose products stimulate the reproductive organs and breasts, conceivably leading to breast cancer.
- Salt sensors on the tongue, when strongly simulated, remove the body’s anxiety and stop it from panicking for water. When salt is available, the body is at least assured of an efficient water filtration system for its emergency supply to the important cells.
- Dehydration causes excess histamine production in the body causing asthma and allergic problems.
- Then concentrated blood enters the lungs, local histamine production is a natural and automatic process.
- Donot over-drink thinking you can undo the damage of many months or years of dehydration by excessive intake of water in a few days. You are required to drink a normal amount every day – eight to ten 250ml Glasses – until full hydration of the body is achieved over a longer period of time.
- Orange juice has high potassium content. Excess potassium in the body can promote more the usual histamine production. Asthmatic and allergic patients can keep this in mind and limit orange juice intake to one or two glasses per day. Orange juice is NOT a substitute for pure and simple water.
- Salt shortage is a contributing factor in severe asthma attacks. In certain people, a salt shortage in the body can occur and become symptom producing in exactly the same way as water shortage, such as arthritis pains.
- Salt is a natural antihistamine. People with allergies can increase their salt intake to prevent excess histamine production.
- In dehydration mucous secretion increases to protect air passages from drying. This occurs in asthma. Eventually the mucous stays put prevention normal passage of air through the airways. Sodium is a natural mucous breaker, and it is normally secreted to make mucous “disposable”. That is why phlegm is salty.
- A pinch of salt on the tongue after drinking water fools the brain into thinking a lot of water has arrived in the body. It is then that the brain begins to relax the bronchioles.
- Asthma is not a disease. It is a physiological adaptation of the body to dehydration and salt shortage. It will recur anytime sufficient attention is not paid to regular water and salt intake.
- Let us collectively set a goal to abolish asthma as soon as possible within 5 years or less. Only with your active support, and when we can have the media lend a hand in educating the public about the role of water in the prevention of asthma, can we save these innocent children who are caught in the grip of ignorance and commercialism in medicine.
- Insulin – independent diabetes is most probably the result of brain water deficiency. The brain benefits from “insulin” inhibition. As it is not dependent on insulin for its functions while cells in most other parts of the body are totally dependent.
- Hence, the paradigm shift can scientifically explain the role of water in disease prevention and/or their cure. With strict and absolutely regular daily water intake to prevent the stresses and associated damages of dehydration, the chief conductor and supervisor of the body’s wee being – TRYTOPHAN a and its neurotransmitter derivatives, SEROTONIN, TRYPTAMINE and MELATONIN – will be well positioned to regulate all functions, a balanced amino acid intake in simple proteins will make sure enough that all of them are made available to the body. Regular daily walks will keep muscles well coordinated and correct any physiological process that are established in the body as a result of anxiety and emotional “stress”.
- People with AIDS are consistently and dramatically short of methionine, cystine, and cysteine – very important amino acids. They also have many fold rises in levels of arginine and glutamate.
- Aneasy way to stop muscle breakdown is by an intelligent adjustment of the daily water intake and by a balanced high protein diet. Water and some salt have reversed muscle breakdown in a dehydration-produced “disease” condition. Not knowing the cause, the problem has been labelled “muscular dystrophy”.
- Your body needs an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of 6-8, 250ml glasses of water a day (adjustments need to be made for physical activity, body mass, and ingestion of diuretics). The best time to drink water are: One glass half an hour before taking food, BREAKFAST, LUNCH, and DINNER and a similar amount two and a half hours after each meal. Also take two more glasses around the heaviest meal or before going to bed.
- Thirst can be satisfied at all times. With increase in water intake, the thirst mechanism becomes more efficient. Your body then asks you to drink more than the above minimum.
- For people who can’t sleep, drinking a glass of water and putting a pinch of salt on the tongue has been found very useful, as has adequate exercise during the day before. Be careful the salt does not irritate the palate of the mouth.
- InMultiple Sclerosis and other nerve diseases the intake of essential fatty acids is a must. Also loss of hair, sterility, weakness, impaired vision, growth retardation, eczema, liver damage, kidney damage, and other degenerative conditions can involve a deficiency of EFA’s these are most easily found in soaked linseed’s.
- Fainting in the heat, after hot showers, or after standing up, indicates dehydration and salt deficiency.
- For anginal pain – in the chest and radiating down the left arm –drink water and walk, walk, and walk.
- Urine is deemed best when almost colourless to light yellow. Dark colour urine is a sign of dehydration.
- The first place that will show signs of being “over watered” will be your lungs when your kidneys do not filter excess water.
- You can for a few days’ asses exactly the quantity of water that you normally drink and the amount of urine you pass. Now begin adding one or two glasses of water a day to the amount that you usually drink. Also measure the amount of urine that you pass. When the amount of urine you pass begins to increase, then you can also increase the amount of water you take. This is very important when concentrated toxins, excess strain, and dehydration has caused compromised kidney function, or when the homeostatic mechanisms for water regulation and cell water up takes are “locked-on” excessively.
- When urine formation is reduced and some oedema (swelling) of the legs and eyelids is present, increased water intake is to be proportionate to increased water production.
- The precaution to keep in mind is loss of salt from the body when water intake is increased and salt intake is not. After a few days of taking 6, 8, or 10 glasses of water per day, you will begin to think of adding some salt to your diet. When you begin to feel muscle cramps at night, remember you are becoming salt deficient. Cramps in unexercised muscles most often mean salt shortage in the body. Also dizziness and feeling faint might be indicators of salt and water shortage in the body. When such an occasion arise, you shall also begin your vitamin and mineral intake – particularly when you are dieting to lose weight or do not eat properly, including fruits and vegetables for their water – soluble vitamin and mineral content.
- For every 10 glasses of water, one can add to the diet about one teaspoon of salt (3 grams) per day, one can ensure that the kidneys are producing urine, Otherwise the body will swell up. When you sense your skin and ankles are beginning to swell up ‘DON’T PANIC”. Reduce salt intake for a few days, yet increase your water intake until the swelling in the legs disappears.
- YOU SHOULD ALSO INCREASE YOUR MOVEMENTS – EXERCISE – MUSCLE ACTIVITY WILL DRAW THE EXCESS FLUID INTO THE BLOOD CIRCULATION AND SOME SALT IS THEN LOST IN PERSPIRATION AND URINE.
- According to Dr. Sheldon Saul Hendler, author of “The oxygen breakthrough”, cell membrane fluidity directly affects the ability of the cells to absorb and thus utilise, oxygen to produce energy. Dehydrated cells cannot use oxygen.
- We can now take a resolute stand to end major dehydration – produced diseases on earth within two decades. Multiple scleroses, High blood pressure, Diabetes, Cholesterol complications, Stroke, Fainting Spells, Emotional learning opportunities, Blood sugar imbalance, Aids, Cancer, Hiatus hernia, Digestive learning opportunities, Stomach ulcers, and many others can be completely eliminated.
- When you desire a world without suffering, then work towards it. Photocopy this brochure and spread the word. Buy a copy of Dr. F. Batmangheldij’s book and lend it to friends.
Alfio Sorbello – Remedial Massage Therapist (AAMT) – Mobile 0414 356 567